G a r y e. A r m s t r o n g
About Gary e. Armstrong
The artwork used to celebrate the Newark Peacemaking Summit was created and generously donated by artist, Gary Armstrong.
Realizing the importance of utilizing his talents to assist those in need, he regularly donates his expertise to create commissioned works for such non-profit organizations as The United Nations Children’s Fund in New York, The Barry Bonds Foundation in Los Angeles, and the pediatric wing of the Cooper Hospital Medical Center in Camden, New Jersey, among many others.
Over the last 30 years, Armstrong has investigated through painting and drawing the visual comparisons between the microcosmic and macrocosmic worlds. His recent work reflects a culmination of these efforts and focuses on the universality of the circle and square in a minimalist, yet evocative manner.
Armstrong’s work is held in numerous private collections, has been exhibited at The National Arts Club in New York, The Art Institute of New York City, and The Butler Institute of American Art in Youngstown, Ohio, and is in the permanent collections of the Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum, the Johnson & Johnson Corporation and the Watson Museum Gallery of Wheaton College in Wheaton, Massachusetts. He also has the unique distinction of being the only artist in the world to have their artwork placed on the surface of the moon, which took place during the Apollo 16 Mission in 1972.
He received his Masters of Fine Arts in Painting from the Cranbrook Academy of Art in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, and his Bachelors of Fine Arts in Painting from The University of Pennsylvania.
Armstrong currently is making artwork full time after teach art on the college and university level for 30 years. He lives and works in the greater NYC area.
Studio Artist/Painter NYC Metropolitan Area.
- Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Master of Fine Art, Painting.
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Bachelor of Fine Arts.
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Four-Years, Painting.
- One Person Show: Small Shapes and Large Ensemble Paintings / The Knauer Gallery, West Chester, PA 2013.
- One Person Exhibition, Chubb Insurance Company Gallery, Warren, NJ. 2011
- One Person Exhibition. Gallery Blu. Harrisburg, PA. 2011.
- One Person Exhibition, Gillard’s Gallery, Bronxville, NY. 2010
- Art Center of Northern New Jersey, 18th National Juried Show. New Milford, NJ. 2009
- The National Arts Club, One Person Exhibition, New York, New York. 2007
- The Art Institute of New York City, One Person Exhibition, New York, New York. 2007
- Mason Murer Fine Arts, Atlanta, Georgia. 2007
- Salmagundi Club Annual Juried Exhibition, Salmagundi Club, New York, New York. 2007
- Sculpture Commission. Main Line Art Center, Art Takes Flight, Haverford, PA. 2005-2006
- Juried One Person Exhibition. West Deptford Public Library, West Deptford, NJ. 2004
- Walk with the Warriors, Walk Across America, Vietnam Memorial Rededication, Washington DC.
- Apollo 16 Mission to the Moon. Moon Medallion Artist. Dayton, Ohio.
- One Person Exhibition. Carl Sol way Gallery. Cincinnati, Ohio.
- PREVIEW. Studio San Giuseppe, College of Mount ST. Joseph, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- DRAWINGS. National Exhibition, Watson Gallery, Wheaton College, Norton, Massachusetts. NATIONAL AWARD.
- All- Ohio Painting and Photography Biennial, Dayton Art Institute, Dayton, Ohio.
- 36th Annual Midyear Show, Butler Institute of American Art, Youngstown, Ohio.
- Twentieth Annual Drawing and Small Sculpture Exhibition, Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana.
- The United Nations Children’s Fund, New York, New York
- Michael Bolton Foundation, Hartford, Connecticut
- Southern New Jersey Regional Children’s Hospital, Camden, New Jersey
- Bonds Family Foundation, Los Angeles, California
- Eden Family of Services, Princeton, New Jersey
- Historic Bertram’s Garden, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- EDEN INSTITUTE FOUNDATION, Princeton, New Jersey.
- JOHNSON & JOHNSON CORPORATION, Diagnostic Division, Raritan, New Jersey.
- CABRINI COLLEGE, Radnor, Pennsylvania.
- CENTRAL TRUST BANK, NA. Cincinnati, Ohio.
- FIRST NATIONAL BANK, Dayton, Ohio.
- PROVIDENT BANK, Dayton, Ohio.
- WATSON GALLERY, WHEATON COLLEGE, Norton, Massachusetts.
- NORTHERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY. Highland Heights, Kentucky.
- SMITHSONIAN AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM. Washington, DC.
Copyright © 2018 Gary e. Armstrong